The family of Hanz, a two year old Schnauzer, wants to inform others of the hidden dangers that they experienced with their dog.
It was back in the summertime, and Jen Walsh took her family and dog to a lake to enjoy the heat and the water, play some games, relax and have some fun. Hanz always had so much fun playing with the family. They all enjoyed the day away from home.
She never expected the day to end the way it did.
Hanz Having a Great Family Day:
While they were playing at the lake, Walsh played one of Hanz’ favorite games. She threw the ball or a stick into the lake, and the happy dog would hurry out to fetch it. The Schnauzer would bring it back and excitedly wait for her to do it again. Tongue hanging out and eyes wide, Hanz was so full of joy and vigor.
Jen guessed that while they were at the lake, Hanz was in and out about twenty or more times to fetch the stick or ball. He was having the time of his life and showed no sign of anything being wrong.
As a bit of time passed, Walsh noticed the Schnauzer didn’t shake off after coming out of the lake the last time and then looked exhausted and kind of slumped down onto the earth. He did not seem his usual self at all.
Something Wrong with Hanz:
They make the decision to bring Hanz to a vet right away when they saw he was deteriorating fast. Enroute to the vet, the dog’s condition was getting worse. The family was really worried about him
Hanz was rushed into the vet’s care, but it was too late. He had already passed away. What a tragic ending to this beautiful Schnauzer’s life. But Jen wanted answers. What happened to Hanz?
It was determined that he died from hyponatremia, which is water intoxication. Surprisingly and sadly, thousands of dogs are killed by this every year.
Hyponatremia has to do the sodium/water ratio. If the dog has too much fluid intake, it can cause a loss of sodium. When this happens, the cells start to swell with water.
Signs of hyponatremia include lethargy, no appetite, dizziness, confusion, excessive licking, vomiting, bloated stomach, and weakness. In more drastic situations, having trouble breaking and loss of consciousness can also be symptoms.
Fatality can occur when the cells of the brain swell up and hit the central nervous system.
Smaller dogs are most at risk of hyponatremia. They don’t always know when to quit drinking. Or when they are fetching and playing a game in water, they may take in more what than they should in relation to their body size.
How to protect your dog from hyponatremia:
Keep in mind that hyponatremia occurs when your dog takes in too much water, so keeping an eye on your dog when they are playing in the ocean, lake or pool is a good idea. Also, if your dog likes to drink water from the water hose, watch to make sure they are not overdoing it.
Watch for the signs we listed above: lethargy, no appetite, dizziness, confusion, excessive licking, vomiting, bloated stomach, and weakness. In more drastic situations, having trouble breaking and loss of consciousness can also be symptoms.
If you are ever concerned your dog is in distress with hyponatremia, contact your vet or go to the animal hospital and have him checked. Not all cases end in a death like poor Hanz.
The Walsh family sadly suffered the loss of Hanz. They want to send this message out to all dog owners so that you are aware and can prevent this from happening to you.
Dogs that are exposed to toxic algae in lakes are also at risk and can die.
Source: Youtube, Inside Edition